In Virginia, Children’s Health Insurance includes Medicaid and Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS) and is available through a single application. Children will be covered by Medicaid if the family’s income meets the Medicaid income requirements. Children who are not eligible for Medicaid and who meet the FAMIS eligibility requirements will be covered by FAMIS.
FAMIS makes health care affordable for children of eligible families. Children may be eligible if they:
- Live in Virginia
- Are under age 19
- Don’t have health insurance now and haven’t had it in the past 4 months (some exceptions apply)
- Are not eligible for the Virginia state employee health insurance plan
- Are not eligible for FAMIS Plus (also known as Medicaid)
- Live in families meeting FAMIS income guidelines
- Are US citizens or qualified aliens
FAMIS MOMS provides health care coverage for pregnant women whose income exceeds the limit for Medicaid. To be eligible, a pregnant woman should:
- Currently be uninsured
- Have a medically confirmed pregnancy
- Be a resident of Virginia
- Be a US citizen or a qualified legal immigrant
- Not have access to a state employee health plan
- Meet family income guidelines
Financial eligibility is based on income only. Income is always calculated on gross income before taxes. Certain disregards apply.
Applications can be filed at the local social services office during regular business hours, or they can be mailed to you the same day as you request. Applications may also be obtained by calling the FAMIS office at 1-866-873-2647 or on-line @ www.famis.org.