Auxiliary Grants

Some people who live in an adult care residence or an adult family care home can receive money from the Auxiliary Grant Program. The money received, plus other income is used by the person to pay for the care provided by the home. Individuals who receive money from this program are also eligible for Medicaid.

To be eligible, a person must:

  • Be 65 or older, blind or disabled

  • Have countable resources of less than $2,000 for one person, $3,000 for a couple

  • Have countable income that is less than the approved rate for the home plus an allowance for personal items

  • File an application in the locality where the person lived prior to entering the adult care residence or adult-care home

  • Have been assessed and determined to need care in an adult care residence or an adult family placement

For additional information about the Auxiliary Grant Program or to obtain an application, contact Wythe Co. DSS or go online to Virginia Department of Social Services.

In addition to the Application for Benefits, a Medicaid Application must also be completed. Applications may be submitted to out office in person, by mail, or by fax.